– An exploration in suicide awareness
suicideTALK is a 60- to 90-minute session that invites interested community members to become more aware of the many things that can be done to prevent suicide. Dealing openly with the stigma around suicide, this exploration focuses on the question, "Should we talk about suicide?" Intriguing questions and a number of handouts stimulate learning.
esuicideTALK, an online based program, developed from the original face to face program for delivery with anyone over the age of 15 years. The program maintains the integrity of the original suicideTALK program: an exploration in suicide awareness.
It provides a structure in which session members can safely explore some of the most challenging attitudinal issues about suicide, and encourages every participant to find a part that they can play in preventing suicide.
The online version is designed to suit the schedule and lifestyle of any participant. It can be easily accessed and taken on any computer, notebook, tablet or smartphone with Internet connection.
- This newest version employs three guiding members of the suicideTALK Team.
- A narrator of choice to provide overview and continuity information,
- A session companion of choice to be part of the exploration experience, and
- "Maria" sharing some of what it was like to be a person at risk of suicide.
Learning outcomesBy the end of the session, participants will be better able to:
- understand how personal and community beliefs about suicide affect suicide stigma and safety
- appreciate how the skills taught in safeTALK suicide alertness training can be used to help prevent suicide by choosing ways to help protect
- preserve and promote life in a suicide-safer community
The role of suicideTALK in a suicide-safer community
suicideTALK helps to create a climate for open and direct talk about suicide, reducing stigma and supporting life-protection, preservation and promotion activities.
For information about becoming a trainer of any of these programs, contact LivingWorks at 1-888-733-5484 or visit www.livingworks.net.